Padua is situated on the far eastern side of the Pianura Padana just 10 km north of the Colli Euganei - the Euganaean hills sung by Petrarch, Foscolo, and Shelley, and 20 km west of the Venetian Lagoon.
Padua has a population of almost 214,000 (as of 2010) and is one of the cultural and economic centers in the north-east.
The old city centre has a dense network of arcaded streets opening into large piazzas and many bridges crossing the various branches of the Bacchiglione river, which once surrounded the ancient walls like a moat. It is connected by waterways to the Po river and the Venetian Lagoon.
Places of Interest
The Botanic Garden and the Anatomy Theater, were first of their kind in Europe.
According to a legend recorded by Virgil in the Aeneid, Padua was founded by Antenor, the counsellor of King Priam during the Trojan War. Following the fire of Troy, Antenor fled Greece and landed on the shores of the Adriatic where he founded Padua.
Since IV sec. a.C. Padua then known as Patavium was on of the most prosperous center of the Roman Empire.
During the invasion of the Longobards the city was completely destroyed in 602.
In 1405 Padua is annexed to the lands under the dominion of the Republic of Venice.
Art and Culture
Shakespeare set his play The Taming of the Shrew in Padua.
|Whos here now: Members 0 Guests 1 Bots & Crawlers 0|